Thursday, January 20, 2011

Low carb Hors d'oeurves - BLT cukes

Some wonderful friends are expecting their third baby in a few weeks and I couldn't think of a better excuse to celebrate so there had to be party. I threw a "sprinkle" for Leigh and new baby Henry on the way with friends, goofy games and of course, yummy food.

Leigh is unfortunately one of the many women that has to deal with gestational diabetes and count carbs throughout her pregnancy. It wouldn't be any fun for her to watch us all eat great snacks that she couldn't enjoy, so it was a low carb finger food spread. I made rosemary scented nut mix, Asian chicken skewers with peanut sauce, creamsicle punch and BLT cukes. Allycakes even baked some sugar free Dr Pepper cupcakes for the mom to be that were wonderful. They were almost as good as the sugar free dark chocolate ones. I have to admit, I ate more than my share.

The BLT cukes were really something different that I had never tried before. I am wishing that I had known about them when I was dealing with gestational diabetes myself. Maybe I would have been less cranky, but I kind of doubt it.  I found a recipe in a Low Glycemic index cookbook and messed with it until I really liked it. How can you go wrong with bacon? Plus, I got to use this crazy tool that has been just sitting in the drawer.


This crazy contraption will scrape all of the seeds out of a cucumber evenly and quickly. It was pretty cool.


The scraped out cucumbers were cut into bite size slices and filled with an amazingly tasty mixture of shredded lettuce, red cabbage, finely diced tomato and crumbled bacon mixed with mayo, salt and pepper.



It was so simple and so good. Plus only 1 carb each! Can't beat that!! Everything looked great and tasted wonderful.


Leigh was one very happy mommy!

3 comments:

Rich said...

That's a fantastic idea! Turning a cucumber into a BLT - yeah, I'm totally diggin' that.

Patty said...

This looks so good! I have been dealing with gestational diabetes and it is so stressful. I am going to try the cucumber recipe. It looks easy enough and I definitely need some more snack ideas. I'll be sure to post a link to your blog post too. I know quite a few other moms dealing with gestational diabetes.

Unknown said...

Yes, the food was DELICIOUS! Thanks again for being such a great and thoughtful friend. The sprinkle was super fun! :)