Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Gadget Tuesday - My favorite things


Lately I have really stepped up the amount of cooking I am doing with the new business. Thankfully, my husband and I have always been fans of cool kitchen gadgets so I have had plenty of crazy doo dads to help me with the increased cooking load.



Last week I made a batch of Philly Cheesesteak Wraps for a friend. The amount of time and tears that it would take to cut 10 onions was not something that I was looking forward to. Then I remembered I had a new gadget to to try out! It was the Ultimate Mandoline by Pampered Chef. Check it out here - http://www.pamperedchef.biz/nicoleozerova?page=products-detail&categoryId=90&itemId=1087&productId=13773 This is my friend Nicole Ozerova's link, so feel free to browse.




The idea of a mandoline slicer scared me. Something about running my hand over a razor sharp blade made me nervous, but I decided to give it a try. The Ultimate Mandoline makes it so you cant cheat and slice your hand to bits while making wafer thin potato chips. The safety guard has to be on correctly in order for the blade to be positioned for cutting. I was amazed at how fast I was able to take these 4 onions and turn them into.......



this pile of thin onion slices.




In less than 5 minutes I had the onions sliced and in the pan cooking and was putting the cleaned mandoline back in my pantry. The slicer comes with 4 blades:
a crinkle slicer
v-slicer
Adjustable slicer ( what I used for the onions)
and grater

I think my next adventure with this tool will be crinkle cut dried veggie chips. Hrm, in fact that sounds like a great idea. Next weeks gadget will have to be my dehydrator!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out my friend!

NDSO

Elizabeth said...

No problem Nic!