Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Easy Dinner When You Feel Nasty

Yesterday my dinner plans got derailed by a couple of kids that weren't feeling too hot. Instead of eating the Bacon and Gouda Stuffed Pork Chops I had planned, we decided to go a bit easier on there stomachs. My favorite type of comfort food is Chicken and Dumplings, but the last thing I wanted to do was spend an afternoon over the stove while dealing with sick kids. I gave my slow cooker, Blaze, another chance to help us out and whipped up a big pot of Easy Chicken and Dumplings.

First thing I did was melt the butter in the CrockPot.




The onions were chopped in my Cuisinart mini chop. The family doesn't like large chunks of onion and this chopped it really finely.



After putting the onion in the crockpot, the chicken breast were layered into the pot.



Pour cream of chicken soup over the top and a bit of water to completely cover. Then I added my secret ingredient. No that's not weed, its dried tarragon from my garden!


The tarragon was sprinkled over the top and then covered and cooked on low for 4 hours to compensate for Blaze's super heating power.



During the last hour I took a refrigerated dough


and cut each biscuit into 8 little pieces.

Every 15 minutes I would come in and gently stir the uncooked biscuits into the broth. It was a tasty and  comforting meal with very little effort.

Easy Chicken and Dumplings

Serves 6-8

INGREDIENTS

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 tablespoons butter
2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
1 onion, finely diced
2 tbls tarragon
2 (10 ounce) packages refrigerated biscuit dough, torn into pieces

DIRECTIONS – this is assembled and cooked on the same day.

1. Place the chicken, butter, soup, and onion in a slow cooker, and fill with enough water to cover.
2. Cover, and cook for 5 to 6 hours on High. About an hour before serving, place the torn biscuit dough in the slow cooker. Cook until the dough is no longer raw in the center.




Slow Cooker

No comments: