Thursday, December 9, 2010

Taking Advantage of Grocery Ads: Boneless Chuck Or Shoulder Roasts

This week is kind of slim picking on great grocery ad specials. The one thing that really stood out as a deal is Kroger's price on boneless chuck or shoulder roasts for $1.97.

You might be asking yourself "How do I make a large hunk of tough meat turn into something tender and delicious?".  The secret is long slow cooking on a low temperature. Of course, pot roast is the first thing that comes to mind. My family is not really big on pot roast, but we have tried out these recipes to see if we would become converts. The general consensus was that they were good, but we are just not pot roast people. I will post the recipe for those of you that are pot roast lovers.

However, we really really like french dip sandwiches. The recipe I use for these is SO ridiculously easy that I am almost embarrassed to post it. Honestly, it is one of the biggest hits on my batch party menus!

In my quest to try something new, I have found recipes that look really interesting and got 5 stars on the Food Network site. One is a Chimichanga recipe that I am sure my kids will love, mainly just because they would get the chance to say chimichanga repeatedly. The next one is an amazingly delicious looking recipe for Beef Stroganoff over Buttered Noodles. I will let you know how these go!

I plan on going this morning to stock my freezer with a couple of inexpensive roasts that will feed a crowd. When I cook them I will post pictures for you. Don't  forget to let me know if you try anything! I want to know what you think.

Winter Pot Roast

Serves 6

2.5 pound pot roast
2 tbls steak sauce
2 onions thinly sliced
15 oz can tomato sauce
1 cup ketchup
1 tsp salt
2 tsp Splenda
¼ tsp pepper
1.5 tbls pure horseradish

Combine all ingredients except roast and pour over the roast in a gallon freezer bag. Freeze.

Thaw and place all the contents in a Crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Add water as needed. Cut meat into cubes and put back into sauce.

 
Pot Roast

Serves 6


2 ½ lb beef roast
2 tablespoons steak sauce
2 medium onions thinly sliced
15oz can tomato sauce
1 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 ½ tablespoons pure horseradish

Combine all ingredients and put in a freezer bag. Freeze

Thaw and place the roast and sauce into a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Add water if the sauce looks to thin. Cut meat into cubes and place back into sauce. Serve with potatoes or on bread.




Slow Cooker French Dip
Serves 6-8

3-4 pounds sirloin tip or boneless beef rump roast
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
1 packet French dip or brown gravy mix
8 sandwich rolls

Combine roast and Worcestershire sauce in a gallon freezer bag and freeze.

Thaw completely and place roast in slow cooker. Sprinkle with gravy mix and add ¼ cup water. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Allow to rest for 20 minutes before slicing.

Serve thin slices of roast on sandwich rolls with bowls of juices on the side.

No comments: