Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Great Chip Experiment


I had mentioned a couple posts back that I was going to try my hand at making veggie chips. My game plan was to use my favorite pampered chef "Ultimate Mandoline" to make thin slices of veggies and then dehydrate them until they were very crispy and crunchy. Vision of my children popping squash chips in their mouths while growing stronger by the bite danced in my head.



I excitedly went to the store and picked out the most flavorful looking zucchini and yellow squash. Our garden (another sad experiment) had managed to produce a handful of okra that I couldn't decide what do to with, so I thought "Okra chips are a good idea, right?". I sliced the veggies and the okra into 1/8 inch thick disks.





I sprayed the chips with a little olive oil and seasoned with a bit of salt. The chips were laid out on the trays and placed in my favorite dehydrator, the Nesco American Harvest Food Dehydrator.



After 5 hours in the dehydrator the veggie disks went from this:



to this:


Yes, I was hoping that would be a tiny pile of crispy yumminess. Well, I got the pile part right. These were AWFUL. The chips were too thin and started to crumble. After about an hour, the incredibly oppressive humidity made the chips start to plump back up. They then became nice disks of veggie leather. I HATE throwing out food, but there was no way to salvage these things.

So there it goes, one of my bigger cooking experiments gone wrong. Learn from my mistakes and if you figure out a good way to make dehydrated veggie chips, PLEASE let me know. Thanks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bummer man!

NDSO