Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Pork Roast stuffed with Plaintain and Ajili-Mojili Sauce

Last week I was looking for a pork roast recipe with a Caribbean flare and came across one for Pork roast stuffed with plantain. After looking it over I realized that I have basically made this recipe a thousand times just without the plantain in the center.

First I took a large pork loin roast and butterflied it.
Photobucket

Then I rubbed the inside and out with ground chipotle pepper, cumin, garlic salt, onion powder and coriander.

Photobucket


I peeled the whole plantain, folded over the roast and tied it up.

Photobucket


The roast was put in the oven for about 45 minutes at 350 degrees, tented with foil. Then the foil was removed and it finished for another 15 minutes. the cooked roast was allowed to rest for about 20 minutes before I sliced it.

Photobucket

Now this is where it got a little crazy. The Ajili- Mojili might as well have been named HOLY MOLY sauce.  It consisted of 4 scotch bonnet peppers, 6 cloves of garlic, whole peppercorns with a little salt vinegar lime and olive oil.  That was some seriously potent stuff. As I was driving to deliver this meal to some clients I noticed that my hand were starting to burn. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what had happened. I remembered to wear gloves while making the sauce, but neglected to wear them when I washed the dishes. BAD move. It took a lot of lotion to calm my skin down so that made me afraid of using it. I had taken a tiny (minuscule) taste of the sauce, but I couldn't imagine slathering it on my 4 year olds dinner. So, I did what every kind hearted friend would do. I took it to my friends that had just had a baby. Hey now, I did warn them, plus I figured it might help keep them up for those sleepless nights. It worked. :) The bright red flaming sauce of death added some heat to the meal for them and apparently it was liked by all that tasted it.

My family ate our portion of the meal without the sauce. The pork was flavorful enough without it and I am a card carrying wussy so it worked out. Next time I think I will prepare the roast and then freeze it before cooking. I am betting it will do well and if so it will make its way onto a batch party menu or two. not sure about the sauce though...

Check out more posts like this at Wanderfood Wednesday and  World Food Thursdays

No comments: