Everything has totally been derailed this week. This time it wasn't by the weather so much as a tiny little bug, or more exactly a germ. We have the flu!!! Do you know what you cook when you have the flu? NOTHING. Ugh. I hate being sick. Ok I know that everyone hates being sick, but really I don't handle it well. I have way too much to do to hang out in bed and wait for the next hot flash or wave of chills. Of course, I do have to say that the codeine in the cough medicine is kind of cool and taking me back to my college days.
Anyway, I have been stuck in the bedroom to try to keep the cooties to myself and watching DVR'd episodes of Iron Chef. After watching several episodes in a row I am starting to realize a few things.
1. Alton Brown is awesome on Good Eats, but make me crazy on Iron Chef. One more pun and I might rip the flat screen of the wall.
2. I have no idea what an immersion circulator does. It looks cool though and I totally want one.
3. Offal is awful. It would be just my luck to get asked to be a judge and have the secret ingredient be entrails. Seriously- who come up with these secret ingredients?
4. The time announcer lady seems to get a bit more smug as the time gets closer to running out.
5. Who decided Mo Rocca is qualified to judge fine cuisine? I will respect the opinion of a food critic, chef or someone in the industry, but really Mo Rocca??? WTF???
6. Jeffey Steingarten is so cranky because his heart is clogged with foie gras and truffle oil. A good cleanse might help his attitude and outlook on life.
7. These dishes are totally not practical for a family cook. My 4 year old will not appreciate the attention to detail that goes into making Black Truffle Gnocchi with Gruyere and micro greens
8. Bobby Flay is a sore loser. You can see his eyes flare and freckles turn red each time a dish is criticized by a judge. I keep waiting for his hair to burst into flames or for him to punch the chairman in the throat for announcing the challenger as the winner.
So anyway, those are my food insites for today. Stay tuned for what another day of isolation and medications will bring!