Wednesday, February 2, 2011

My Secret Chicken Enchiladas


Chicken Enchiladas with a sour cream sauce is about one of my favorite things. From the time I was a child I have loved the. Every time we go to a Mexican restaurant I look for them. They are really one of my favorite things and I have fortunately found a recipe that I love as well. Plus, I have a secret ingredient that puts them over the top! Thankfully, it is also some of my customers favorites so I get to make them often for people and then keep an extra pan for my family.  No more waiting to go out to satisfy my craving.

These enchiladas can be made ahead and frozen for up to 3 months. Mine never make it that long!

First, I sautee some finely chopped onion with a bit of oil until they start to become clear.

Then I add cream of chicken soup, Rotel tomatoes and diced green chilies.

Doesn't that look good?

I added some oregano and cumin, covered and let simmer for 20 minutes.


Warm tortillas roll better, so I covered them with a damp paper towel and microwaved  the stack for one minute.



Ok and here is that part where I reveal my secret. I use diced SMOKED chicken. We have an awesome smokehouse that we bust out several times a year to fill fill with chickens, brisket, sausage and turkey. After we feast like ravenous beasts, the leftovers are frozen and used in some favorite meals over the next month or two.

To assemble the enchiladas, I would take warm tortilla and spread a spoonful of sauce on it.



Then a handful of chicken


Then a sprinkling of Monterey Jack cheese.


I rolled the tortilla up and placed it seem side down in the container.


These are going to be packaged in serving for 2, so only 4 at a time.
 Then I added a 16 oz carton of sour cream to the remaining sauce.

 and spread the sauce across the top of the enchiladas.

 A big handful of sharp cheddar was sprinkled across the top before sealing them up and freezing.
Don't they look good!


CHICKEN ENCHILADAS


 (3lb.) chicken
salt and pepper to taste
Cooking oil
1 Tbsp. cumin powder
1 large onion chopped
1 carton sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 6oz pkg. frozen tortillas
2 10 oz cans Ro Tel tom. Drained
1 lb. Monterey Jack cheese grated
2 4 oz cans mild green chilies
2 cup grated Cheddar cheese

Smoke chicken in smoker until done or purchase a smoked chicken. Steamed chicken can also be used.

Sauce is prepared by sautéing onion in small amount of cooking oil until clear. Add soup, tomatoes, green chilies, salt and pepper to taste and cumin. Simmer about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and add sour cream.


Place Tortillas on  microwave safe plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave for one minute or until warm. Fill each tortilla with chicken, sauce and Monterey jack cheese. Roll and place in large casserole dish, fold side down. Pour remaining sauce over all and top with 2 cups grated Cheddar cheese. Bake at 350 about 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Serves 8



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's basically the same sauce for King Ranch cassarole (before you add the sour cream. Sounds good!