Monday, January 25, 2010

Chili Lime steak

The other night I was having to scrap to put something together for dinner. I had a marinated Chili-lime steak from the freezer and some pantry staples, so I decided to just make something up. I grabbed a can of diced tomatos with chilis, black beans, chicken broth and sour cream.

This is what I started with.

First, I pre-heated a skillet over medium high heat. Then I added the chili-lime steak along with the marinade in to the pan and browned on each side for 3 minutes. This was a very thin sliced steak, so it did not take long to cook at all. Thicker cuts will take longer.


Once the steak was cooked, I removed it from the pan and placed it on the cutting board to rest while, I made a sauce.

To make the sauce, I added about half of the can of chicken broth to the pan and used a wooden spatula to scrape up the browned bits. Next went in the can of diced tomato. The sauce simmered for 5 minutes to reduce the amount of liquid by about half. Then went in the black beans for 2 minutes- just until heated through. While the sauce simmered, I sliced the steak into thin strips and added them into the pan. The final touch was 1/4 cup of sour cream to thicken the sauce a bit.



The flavor was excellent, but I think next time I will add a bit more lime juice to punch up that flavor. This was a hit with the kids and super fast to make. Definitely a make again recipe!

No comments: